Replace

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Gluten Free



Just the word is enough to send shivers down my spine! It conjurs up images of really, really bad food. Like your great-aunt that always has a remedy, shoving it down your throat, super-markets scream yummy and gluten free in the same sentence, like our taste buds went out the window with our wheat.

Half my family is Celiac. I have tried in vain to come up with things that taste good...and I went to Culinary School! All of the recipes and formulas are useless when it comes to leaving out wheat. Two years ago Thanksgiving was a fiasco! Stuffing? Out of the question. Pies? Loaded with wheat. Eating out? On that same list. It becomes a nightmare to just find food. Land mines are everywhere. So treats are usually something safe like Rice Krispie Bars or fruit.

I am not looking for sympathy. I am setting you up for the story of victory! Imagine the thought of giving up food....there is so much about life that is better with good food! But think of the things that have wheat. Some meats, some cheeses, some oatmeal....wheat is everywhere!

So when I came across Gluten Free on a Shoestring I had my doubts. But I tried her Ho Ho recipe and I am very impressed! I actually liked it. I am telling you my woes so that if you know someone who is gluten intolerant or Celiac, take it seriously. Take the trouble to make them something from her website. Granted, you will have to buy some extra ingredients. But it will make their day. It is very hard to find something special, even in the specialty stores. Taste seems to be coming back with her posts. Can't wait to try to Superbowl list tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment